[Herefordshire] - Reclaiming Partition Space

Dr Chris Owens cowens at clara.co.uk
Mon Sep 27 15:40:47 BST 2004

Mark

    Many thanks for this, I see your logic and have tried increasing the
colour resolution to 32bit True Colour (there isn't a 24 bit colour option)
but alas to no effect. The result is a blank (dark ) screen with a couple of
white underscores at the top. These change position as the screen size
(and/or colour res) chosen from the installer post installation config menu
is altered. In fact worse than this is that I have not been able to regain
the infamous "grey blue mish/mash" at all and certainly not by selecting the
choices Mandrake makes.

    I guess the installation is otherwise complete since I have been able to
get and use Root and User Command lines but no GUI. Is a clue the fact that
startx  from the Root or User command line returns an error message as
follows:

Cmd Line:                [root @ localhost root]#
Enter:                        startx
System response:   1. Uses and writes authority files
                                  2. execve failed for /etc/X11/x (errno 2)
                                  pause
                                  3. giving up
                                  4. xinit: No such file or directory (errno
2): unable to connect to X Server
                                  5. xinit: No such process (errno 3):
Series error

or does this arise simply because the graphics interface has not been
properly configured.

Sorry to be such a pest but any other suggestions welcome

Chris