[Herefordshire] Installed new harddisk.

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Sun Apr 3 19:17:09 BST 2005

hi Dave,

Easiest way is to use Knoppix ! Just boot with it, let it find your
existing hard drive partitions. Then right click the partitions it finds
and select read/write mode, and mount them. Then you can copy the files
to other HDDs  etc. Or you could set up the network card then copy
across to another pc, or USB memory stick ....

These Bootable CDRom's are a godsend when things go wrong .....

Hang on. The only problem, you may well get is that if your WIN
partition is formatted NTFS, that linux doesnt quite do NTFS write as
yet. I think there is a driver in Knoppix called 'captive' that will
allow you do just thsi. If its FAT 32 you're fine anyway.

Otherwise look our for 'systemrescuecd' another Linux bootable cD which
I think has support for captuive on it and lots of other useful tools,
though less easy to use than knoppix.

Good luck

Julian