[Herefordshire] Boot loaders/configuring (especially Grub)

Andrew Hodgson andrew at hodgsonfamily.org
Thu Apr 28 22:52:28 BST 2005

Hi,

Does anyone have any pointers in editing the Grub configuration file to
include parameters on bootup?  I have loaded in a new kernel into my
Debian installation, however, am now faced with having to pass
parameters to this on bootup (this is a screen review system, and I need
to tell it which hardware synthesiser I own).  I have tested this on a
floppy with a boot prompt and it works well, I just need to specify the
parameters from within Grub, hopefully so I just choose the option and
it loads straight in with the parameters.

I am not really able to read man pages at the moment since I am working
without speech and using a magnifier on the screen which is not a
long-term option.

Also, what are the main differences between Lilo and Grub?

Thanks.
Andrew.