[HLUG] Failed Mandrake installation

Sue & Michael Ranyard smranyard at xalt.co.uk
Tue Aug 2 17:22:50 BST 2005

I installed Mandrake 10.1 and had problems.  It will not work with my
internal or external modem, though both work fine with Windows.  It will
not work with my sound card (though I know I need a different one for
Linux.)
I installed a Graphics card on my computer - a Radeon 9550 - having read
somewhere that this would work with Linux.  But now, when Linux loads, I
finish up with a blank screen.  Clearly Mandrake Linux doesn't work with
this graphics card.  I have tried looking for drivers and failed to find
any.

I tried using a CD live version of SuSe 9.3 but also got a blank screen.
Clearly it does not like this graphic card.

However the CD live version of Knoppix 3.9 works OK

Can anyone tell me if drivers exist for the card?
If they do, how can I install them?
If they don't, then, for the moment I want to uninstall Mandrake.  I
understand that if I just reclaim the Linux partition for windows, then
LILO will not work.  But how can I get get rid of the LILO menu that
allows me to choose between Linux, failsafe and Windows?

Any help would be appreciciated
Michael
--
Michael & Sue Ranyard