[HLUG] Failed Mandrake installation

Mark Broadbent m.broadbent at signal.QinetiQ.com
Tue Aug 2 17:43:14 BST 2005

Hello,

Sue & Michael Ranyard wrote:

> I installed Mandrake 10.1 and had problems.  It will not work with my
> internal or external modem, though both work fine with Windows.  It
> will  not work with my sound card (though I know I need a different
> one for  Linux.)
> I installed a Graphics card on my computer - a Radeon 9550 - having
> read  somewhere that this would work with Linux.  But now, when Linux
> loads, I  finish up with a blank screen.  Clearly Mandrake Linux
> doesn't work with  this graphics card.  I have tried looking for
> drivers and failed to find  any.
>
> I tried using a CD live version of SuSe 9.3 but also got a blank
> screen.   Clearly it does not like this graphic card.
>
> However the CD live version of Knoppix 3.9 works OK

There is a general hardware compatibility list at [1] however this is
not distribution specific.  It clearly depends on the X server version
to whether it works at all or not and a very recent distribution (Fedora
Core 4 springs to mind) should be more successful (Mandrake 10.1 is
relatively old in open-source software terms).

> Can anyone tell me if drivers exist for the card?

ANTI provide drivers, see [2].

> If they do, how can I install them?
> If they don't, then, for the moment I want to uninstall Mandrake.  I
> understand that if I just reclaim the Linux partition for windows,
> then  LILO will not work.  But how can I get get rid of the LILO menu
> that  allows me to choose between Linux, failsafe and Windows?

You'll need a command prompt (that's a real DOS prompt) and run the command:

 > fdisk /mbr

to restore the windows bootloader.

Thanks
Mark