[HLUG] Failed Mandrake installation

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Tue Aug 2 18:55:20 BST 2005

Mark Broadbent wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Sue & Michael Ranyard wrote:
>
>> I installed Mandrake 10.1 and had problems.  It will not work with
>> my  internal or external modem, though both work fine with Windows.
>> It will  not work with my sound card (though I know I need a
>> different one for  Linux.)
>> I installed a Graphics card on my computer - a Radeon 9550 - having
>> read  somewhere that this would work with Linux.  But now, when Linux
>> loads, I  finish up with a blank screen.  Clearly Mandrake Linux
>> doesn't work with  this graphics card.  I have tried looking for
>> drivers and failed to find  any.

Just for comparison - A user with the latest version of Ubuntu says '

> Well I have a Radeon 9550 that I purchased about a month ago which is
> running on a dual boot sys WinXPmce/Ubuntu.
>
> But, I am Having a hard time getting the 9550 running well. This was
> actually my first ATi purchase, as I purchased all nvidia in the past
> with less problems.

So it may not be completely plain sailing but he did get them working. I
think getting the hardware acceleration working might be what he means
by 'working well' Nvidia cards are always better supported and better
drivers under Linux.

Also someone else said :-

> I just wondered if someone can help me install my ati radeon 9200/
> 9550 under MDK 9.2 or 10.2. I got the 9200 to work under 9.2, but is
> still not that good. I got nothing working with the 9550.
>
> I am using the drivers provided by ati.
>
> Is there any drivers available that performs better, and that are
> easier to install?
>
> Yes I did go the init 3, init 5 way also.
>
> Are them drivers any good? Better than MESA I must say!

So you're not the only one with issues. Is there any ware you get get
another (nvidia) based card?

Julian

>> I tried using a CD live version of SuSe 9.3 but also got a blank
>> screen.   Clearly it does not like this graphic card.
>>
>> However the CD live version of Knoppix 3.9 works OK

Knoppix probably has the best hardware compatability of any distro all
told. Although that might start another thread of its own ;-)