[HLUG] printing packages with ubuntu

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Sat Aug 13 09:53:32 BST 2005

Graham Cole wrote:

>Give me a clue please.... having abandoned CUPS and installed a lot of
>libgnomeprint packages I wonder which other ones are necessary to enable
>printing. I use Gnome so kdeprint would not be for me I guess.
>Thanks
>Graham

Graham

These days CUPS is the only real way of printing with Linux. You might
get something else to work, but CUPS is a far better solution than
postscript files and magic filters ever was. CUPS has been in Mandrake
Linux since 7.2, so its been a long time (2000 ?).

I'm sure that libgnomeprint and kdeprint are both just wrappers around
CUPS, so will not give you any alternative means of printing anyway.

I must admit I've never ever had real issues with CUPS. That said, I use
Epson and HP printers that are usually supported without any issues.
www.linuxprinting.org shows all the printers and how well they work with
CUPS. Dont forget, AFAIR CUPS was ported to MacOSX to form the basis of
their entire printing system.

You could try to remove CUPS and re-install, & using Synaptic make sure
you select the option to 'Mark for Complete Removal' . that way all the
config files will be removed to give yourself a completely fresh CUPS
install. You may wish to copy your existing CUPS config files somewhere
else if you wish.

What printer do you have ? With the price of printers these days you may
do as well to buy a really well supported model on ebay, or even a new
one if you still cant get it to work.

Cheers