[HLUG] printing packages with ubuntu

Graham Cole g at gcole.uklinux.net
Sat Aug 13 20:29:33 BST 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-13 at 09:52 +0100, Julian Robbins wrote:
> Graham Cole wrote:
>
> >Give me a clue please.... having abandoned CUPS and installed a lot of
> >libgnomeprint packages I wonder which other ones are necessary to enable
> >printing. I use Gnome so kdeprint would not be for me I guess.
> >Thanks
> >Graham
> >

> These days CUPS is the only real way of printing with Linux. You might
> get something else to work, but CUPS is a far better solution than
> postscript files and magic filters ever was.

OK , thanks for that Julian. I easily removed completely CUPS, both
cupsys (the server) and gnome-cups-manager. Now I am back to an annoying
problem which wasted a lot of time in weeks past. There is a password
demanded for admin and the CUPS manual says I should use the command
lppasswd to set one. When I try to (as root) I am stopped because bash
does not recognize this command.
I go round in circles, definitely been here before but at some time in
the past I found lppasswd DID work. I know not why!

> What printer do you have ? With the price of printers these days you may
> do as well to buy a really well supported model on ebay, or even a new
> one if you still cant get it to work.
There is no problem with the printer (a new Epson cx3600) because I have
had it printing jpeg and pdf files in Gimp. Other Ubuntu users with
similar models have posted questions in the Hoary forum but none with
exactly my model or the identical troubles.

--
Best wishes

Graham