[HLUG] MIDI?????

Matt Rhys-Roberts matt.rhys-roberts at q-par.com
Thu Aug 25 16:13:57 BST 2005

There's now an interesting gap in my understanding here. I remember that
basic soundcards often had their own synthesiser chip on board, that
could be made to play tunes using a handful of different instrument
settings, a bit like a clockwork musical box or a fairground organ.

I wonder whether the old discrete synthesiser chip has been generally
replaced by software emulation, i.e. where a program generates the audio
data instead? In which case, selecting the right drivers and emulators
becomes even more crucial... *sob*   ... I'm off to find the specs and
block diagram for my soundcard...

Matt Rhys-Roberts