[HLUG] MIDI?????

matt at spherica.demon.co.uk matt at spherica.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 24 00:55:33 BST 2005

Sympathies, as I'm just getting into midi hacking here too. Here's where I've
been with Ubuntu 5.04 and a Creative 'SB Live' soundcard, while trying to a)
confirm the midi i/o port is active, b) check the soundcard's synthesiser can
generate midi file-driven sounds, and c) that Rosegarden is capable of
recording and reproducing keystrokes from a midi piano. I think you're just
interested in (b) for now.

First, check how your soundcard is supported under Linux. Then check that
you've got the correct drivers/modules loaded (I think the 'modprobe' command
comes into force here). On top of that, you may need to download & install
some 'sound fonts' into your soundcard (i.e. instrument sound definitions for
the different MIDI channels to play), if it has none of its own native ones
stored in ROM. Then if that look stable, try playing a simple midi file with
e.g. 'pmidi'. If you hear nothing, check your sound mixer's appropriate
faders are un-muted and open... if you can't seem to access the faders, try
installing a better sound mixer app that suits your soundcard.

All this should at least temporarily enable the playing of midi files by your
soundcard, until you reboot whereupon you may lose the drivers/apps again.
So...

Once you've got all this working manually via the command line, you may wish
to automate [at boot-up time] the loading of the appropriate drivers, modules
etc. in a config file, which will be peculiar to your distro I expect.

Here are a couple of links I've been hammering for insights:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/MIDI-HOWTO.html
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/MIDI-HOWTO-7.html (midi config)

Please, anyone else, welcome to fill in any gaps in the above!

Best of luck, many happy breakthroughs.

Regards,
Matt Rhys-Roberts
Leominster