[HLUG] MIDI?????

matt at spherica.demon.co.uk matt at spherica.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 28 15:23:30 BST 2005

Agree with you Julian, mixer settings are a pitfall. I use 'kmix' to access
every possible channel I can; the standard ubuntu mixer was too basic for the
SB Live soundcard.

The sound's scratchiness was due to having moved a fader that's mapped to a
critical part of the card. I've discovered it's possible to store and
retrieve mixer/soundcard states with the 'alsactl store' (or restore)
commands; so restoring the last saved mixer state miraculously cured the
distorted output. For the curious, the fader is something to do with the PCM
routing of the emu10k1 DSP, which looks best left alone.

Can now record, edit and replay audio and midi. Cheers for the discussion thus
far.

Matt