[HLUG] cdparanois, flac and ogg123

j michaelson jmichaelson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 12:27:39 GMT 2005

hello everyone,

i been busy ripping my cd collection. i bought myself a 200gig hard
drive and i wrote myself a script that would use cdparanoia to rip the
tracks to the hard drive and help name the tracks. i wanted to have
them losslessly compressed with flac, because i dont like the idea of
losing any sound quality. originally the script was both ripping and
compressing them, but it was taking too long so i left them as wav
files and concentrated on getting as many cds ripped as possible. then
the next morning before i went i ran this little script with root
priveleges...

#!/bin/bash
flac --best --delete-input-file /home/john/music/*wav
shutdown -h now

...and left it to chug it's way through the wav files and then shut the pc down.

i'm using ogg123 to play the flac files on the command line. i only
recently found out that it can handle flac files and i think it has
more options than flac123. i usually just point it at my music
directory with the -z option (shuffle) and let it run. if it plays a
track that i don't want to listen i can skip it by hitting ctrl-c, but
i'm trying to find out if there is another way of doing it.

john m.