[Herefordshire] OT: Broadband questions

Noel McG. herlinux at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 10 20:57:34 GMT 2005

Hello Ralph,

My bit really is on a Windows box however it may be pertinent. I went with
Wanadoo,as I already had a connection with them

>  At the moment, I'm happy to go with either of the first two options, as
> I will only be going on-line with one PC, and it won't be switched on
> 24/7. There might be a possibility that I might build myself a
> collection of PCs later in the year, in which case I would get myself a
> 4-port router/modem combo. My question is, are the first two plug in and
> set up, or will I have to start tinkering with kernel modules et al to get
> them up and running?

The Wanadoo usb modem that is supplied is a French one, Thompson Speedtouch
330.  There are linux drivers available for this and the setup CD points the
way and states that it will work with Linux.  You simply setup the software
from the CD plug in the modem and then wait for BT to enable the line.
Eventually the modem lights stabalise and you are away.

> 3) As I mentioned above, the PC will not be switched on, or on-line,
> 24/7. Would it be just a case of disconnecting from my broadband ISP,
> pretty much as I do now with dial-up? And when I re-connect, will my
> settings be remembered?

Their broadband setup puts an icon on the desktop that you use to connect.
All it does is verify your name and password. You disconnect as usual, in my
case with an icon on the bottom bar. When you want to go on again you click
the icon or leave it on.

> 4) Using other ISPs/SMTP servers
> If I want to send mail from ISPs other than my BB ISP (i.e. the one
> whose SMTP server is forwarding this message on), would I still need to
> keep my dial-up modem connected to the PC, and plug it into the voice
> channel of my phone line to be used as required, or is it a case of once
> a phone-line has been 'DSL-ed', that's it - you can't use dial-up
> anymore. I don't particularly want to transfer all my mail accounts to
> one address (provided by my BB ISP) purely because I can't access various
SMTP servers as
> required.

With the Wanadoo filters there is a socket, in the filter itself,  for the
USB line from the modem and a socket for an ordinary modem dailup line.  If
I switch my broadband off I am able to dial out through the ordinary modem
that is still in the PC.