[Herefordshire] Mambo install

Andrew Hodgson andrew at hodgsonfamily.org
Wed Feb 16 19:18:52 GMT 2005

Hi,

Sorry for tardiness of this message have just come back from Iceland and
am still catching up.

Yes you need to un-tar the Mambo files into /var/www, so it comes up
with the Mambo site when you do http://webserver.domain.com/.  When you
are put the files into /var/www and do http://localhost do you get the
Mambo install pages?  What is the output of ls -ar /var/www?

The SQL bit is needed because you need to create the table for Mambo to
put its data, and this needs to be accessible by a specific username
which has full rights to that table.  You can either do this by using
the mysqladmin command and entering the commands manually or using a
MySQL front end such as PHP MySQL admin.  I have no experience with the
later.

At this point I can't remember whether you just go to
http://your.web.server/ or you have to specify the install directory -
this is extracted in /var/www and contains all the install files.
Anyway when you go to this page, you can then follow the prompts (you
will need to note the following:

1.  You will be given the status of certain directories within the
/var/www directory (known as the Mambo home directory), some of these
will need to be made writable by the account that Apache runs under
using chmod.
2.  You will put in some details on the site - i.e, site name,
description etc.
3.  You will enter in the MySQL table and then enter in the username and
password and the server (usually always localhost).
4.  You will be asked to remove the install pages for security reasons
before you can run the Mambo pages proper.

At this point it is complete.

I have no idea what state I will be in tomorrow as I was going to get
the box I had it running back online for testing so I could come with
more details, but what with other comitments have not been able to do
this.  I may if time permits tomorrow try and cobble together some notes
on it before the meeting, however, this may not happen depending on what
happens at work (I am in the process of training someone else up!).

Andrew.