[Herefordshire] VectorLinux Finally installed !!

Andrew Hodgson andrew at hodgsonfamily.org
Thu Jan 20 23:47:59 GMT 2005

Hi,

Thanks to Box I have now been totally brought up-to-date with Linux
desktops thanks to Mandrake Move.  I put it in when I got home, it
detected every piece of hardware I have in this box from the video and
sound boards, to the scanner, CDR and zip drive!!

I think what I will do now is probably invest in a hdd caddie, although
there are no IDE ports left on this mobo (the system in question uses
SATA), so not sure whether I can get such a caddie yet, but will look at
work tomorrow.  Still not sure whether I really want Mandrake, or
something which supports the CLI a bit more (Move didn't really have
many commands that I had previously used).

Although I got an IP address (or seemed to get my default of
192.168.1.13 (the DHCP rekognised the NIC MAC address), I couldn't do
any surfing, probably due to needing to specify our proxy settings,
which I didn't know where to put them.  Similarly, I really need to get
the resolution down, as currently it ran in quite a high res screen.

Andrew.