[Herefordshire] linux

John Michaelson michaelson4444 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 26 12:23:20 GMT 2005

hello everyone,

john michaelson here. i was the tall one with in the leather jacket who came
to the lug for the first time last thursday. i had enjoyed myself and met
some good people.

i installed ubuntu that night and had a play with it. due to it being a
single cd install i found it a bit limited compared to the bigger distros
that i am used to, but as an introduction to linux it's ok.

i tried to install unreal tournament 2004 on ubuntu. ut2004 is meant to run
on linux as well as windows, but i couldn't get it to run after i installed
it. i thought that perhaps it was because ubuntu was a fairly small linux
and didn't satisfy the dependencies, but i later tried getting it running
under mandrake 10.1 and fedora 3 and it failed to run on them too. bit of a
disapointment.

box kindly offered to burn me a copy of cedega (runs windows games under
linux) which i am very interested in. gaming is one of the few things that i
still need windows for and it would be great if i could get my games running
under linux instead.

as a metal fabricator/welder i sometimes use programs like autocad to do
technical drawing. the other day i noticed that mandrake 10.1 comes with
qcad. this is an opensource program very similar to autocad. i'm slowly
finding my way around it and it looks pretty good. that's one less program
that i have to run under windows.

hope to see you all next month,
john.