[Herefordshire] metalwork

John Michaelson michaelson4444 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 27 14:54:27 GMT 2005

Hi matt,

The bus sounds interesting, could you bring some pictures to the next
meeting?

My sister is a jeweller/silversmith up in Birmingham. I could ask her if she
could recommend some good books about stone setting if you like.

I did the blacksmithing and metalwork course at the rural crafts college a
couple of years ago, it covers blacksmithing, fabrication, fitting,
technical drawing and mig, gas and stick welding. It’s a one year course and
I’d highly recommend it. You can also do welding and blacksmithing as
evening classes if you like.

Since leaving college I’ve done various jobs in the metal work trade. At one
point I learnt how to use a cnc plasma cutter, which is a great bit of kit.
You can design something in a cad program like autocad or the open source
alternative qcad, save it as a dxf file and then feed it into the plasma
cutter. The cutter can cut aluminium, steel or stainless up to 20mm thick.
I’m pretty sure laser cutters use dxf files too.

Right now I am working at AH fabrication at the thorn estate
(http://www.ahfabrications.com/products.htm ) . We make high quality
aluminium radiatiors, tanks etc for race and rally teams. I’m trying to
master tig welding ally with a footpedal, which is pretty tricky stuff, but
I’ve nearly got it.

John