[Herefordshire] Video Cards

Mark Broadbent markb at wetlettuce.com
Sat Jan 29 21:25:22 GMT 2005

Hi Michael,

On Sat, 2005-01-29 at 16:57 +0000, Sue & Michael Ranyard wrote:
> Does anyone know whether the following video cards are compatible with
> Mandrake Linux?
>
> Radeon 9600 Pro?  The Mandrake web site says that the 9600AP and the
> 98600XT are compatible, but there is no entry for the 9600 Pro.
>
> Radeon X300 SE.  The Mandrake web site says that the x300 is compatible
> but, again, no entry for the X300SE

If this is Mandrake 10 or 10.1 then you'll definitely get a GUI on the
screen.  As I said in an earlier post, ATI do provide drivers to allow
you to use the full capabilities of the card (i.e. 3D support). See
http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html for the drivers.

As for the X300 being listed but not X300SE I would assume they are the
same thing except the SE version has been limited in some way (maybe
memory bus speed or graphics chip speed).  Same with the 9600 also
applies.

Also found this but it seems a bit out-of-date:
http://www.ati.com/developer/altoschart.pdf

Thanks
Mark

--