[Herefordshire] Re Logo

EdwardFW at aol.com EdwardFW at aol.com
Mon Jan 31 15:55:50 GMT 2005

> This is something that I was a little concerned about whilst I was making
it, but I
> thought that it might work anyway because what you'll get is "herefordshire
[penguin > logo]" which might be clear to a fair number of people that it is
a lug.

I agree, very fair comment, I certainly would get this point visually, and so
would a great many others. But I have taken an interest in PC's etc. etc.
including Linux (though I am only just starting to try to use it) for many years.

Noting your "might be", and "a fair number of people" are these sufficient?
The logo is a sort of "advertising", it should carry various messages.
Without being excessive in any way, it should strive to reach everyone, every
last person it can, very well.

Not only with its explicit message about what the site is, but also with the
more subtle messages carried by clarity and excellence (and please note I
don't wish to offend in any way, in my view the logo would be fine as it is, I am
making suggestions for the group to consider, as to whether a slight tweak or
two would marginally improve it).

Whatver its "messages" are (and this is a matter for the entire group or at
least anyone who is bothered) these messages should reach those who are less
interested, less alert etc. Even if they don't choose to look further at the
site or at Linux they should have, perhaps only subconsciously, noted that
everything to do with Linux seems to be attractive and positive and extremely well
executed etc. Not that it is - but shouldn't that be its aim?

Bear in mind that Linux is at a stage where it is starting to appeal to a
wider spectrum and, I think, has reached or very nearly reached a stage of
development, with gui's and automation of configuration tasks, where it is suitable
for less able and less interested users. Some of these will be trying to make
their way alone, under stress, in a hurry etc. Picture a nIt is spreading from
the highly motivated etc. to those who just want to use a computer for the
usual simple tasks. Think of the retail sites who lose a percentage of potential
customers with every extra click that has to be made on their sites. Linux
loses a percentage of converts with every bit of hassle. At an extreme, perhaps
someone in a far continent who hasn't heard of Herefordshire, and hardly
speaks English, is browsing around struggling to fix a problem at three in the
morning. How well will HLUG's site work for them?

Lastly, re the "image of Linux" thing, I think the consideration of the
visually handicapped aspect should be noted including because this is becoming more
of a requirement for commercial sites, thus will be more noted, so though
there may not be a legal etc. requirement it may attract more attention and
criticism as time passes. So criticism and the need to change in future might be
avoided

Sorry not to write this more clearly and politely,  All the best, Edward