[Herefordshire] Having a blonde moment!!!!

Mark Broadbent m.broadbent at signal.QinetiQ.com
Fri Jul 1 09:04:24 BST 2005

Ben Stephens wrote:
> Does anyone here use Emacs? What do you use it for? Was it difficult to learn?

I use Xemacs, but I believe the difference is political not technical.
I great for programming as Andrew said as I pretty much formats the code
for you, so it picks up all the obvious missing braces type errors
immediately and forces your code formatting to be consistent.  For me
the best feature (for programming) is pressing tab on a line and the
code line is indented to the correct level, saves a lot of time.

It can be pretty daunting to learn, firstly because it's based round
LISP and second, it HUGE.  But once you've used it for a bit it's very
powerful.

> I've had a look at it a couple of times but always found something
> that's easier to learn for the job I want it to do.

There are simply and more conventional editors out there (Nedit it great
example), however, Emacs is not just an editor it's, to name a few, a
mail reader, news reader, calendar and many more.

Thanks
Mark