[Herefordshire] mount_r or mount within a mount within a mount etc etc

John Hedges john at drystone.co.uk
Fri Jul 1 16:50:50 BST 2005

On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 03:56:00PM +0100, John Hedges wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 03:13:48PM +0100, matt stone wrote:
> > I guess i could google this but it's friday, i'm feeling lazy and i
> > thought it might generate some fun discussion :)
> >
> > I'm using Fedora core 3 on a box, it's got 2 disks, 1 system disk and
> > 1 for file storage which is also set up as a samba share. I'm rapidly
> > running out space on the storage disk and want to add another disk to
> > it. To save creating a separate mount point and another samba share i
> > was hoping to be able to mount the new disk at the same point as the
> > current one.
> >
> > Soooo, is it possible to mount 2 separate disks at the same point?
> > and, if so, are there any known problems in doing this? or would i
> > just be better off cobbling a few more disks together to make some
> > raid type thing?
> >
> > Cheers
> > Matt
>
> Hi Matt
>
> I've never used it but LVM might be an answer. There is a howto here:
>
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/
>
> It starts ...
>
>  Logical volume management provides a higher-level view of the disk
>  storage on a computer system than the traditional view of disks and
>  partitions. This gives the system administrator much more flexibility
>  in allocating storage to applications and users.
>
>  Storage volumes created under the control of the logical volume manager
>  can be resized and moved around almost at will, although this may need
>  some upgrading of file system tools.
>
>  The logical volume manager also allows management of storage volumes in
>  user-defined groups, allowing the system administrator to deal with
>  sensibly named volume groups such as "development" and "sales" rather
>  than physical disk names such as "sda" and "sdb".
>
> Sounds funky :)
>
> John

Hello again

In answer to your question: no, you can't mount two disks at the same
mount point. You can, however, mount the first disk and then mount the
second disk at a mount point on the first disk. eg, mount the first at
/disk1 and the new disk at /disk1/disk2

This is a much more 'Friday afternoon' solution but it doesn't free up
any space on your existing /disk1 subdirectories. If you have a large
subdirectory on disk1 you could move it to disk2 using a temporary mount
point and then mount disk2 at the point where the original subdir was on
disk1. This would free up space on disk1 and give you the extra from
disk2 but space on disk2 would, obviously, only be available for files
in the one specific subdirectory.

John