[Herefordshire] mount_r or mount within a mount within a mount etc etc

John Hedges john at drystone.co.uk
Fri Jul 1 15:57:52 BST 2005

On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 03:13:48PM +0100, matt stone wrote:
> I guess i could google this but it's friday, i'm feeling lazy and i
> thought it might generate some fun discussion :)
>
> I'm using Fedora core 3 on a box, it's got 2 disks, 1 system disk and
> 1 for file storage which is also set up as a samba share. I'm rapidly
> running out space on the storage disk and want to add another disk to
> it. To save creating a separate mount point and another samba share i
> was hoping to be able to mount the new disk at the same point as the
> current one.
>
> Soooo, is it possible to mount 2 separate disks at the same point?
> and, if so, are there any known problems in doing this? or would i
> just be better off cobbling a few more disks together to make some
> raid type thing?
>
> Cheers
> Matt

Hi Matt

I've never used it but LVM might be an answer. There is a howto here:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/

It starts ...

 Logical volume management provides a higher-level view of the disk
 storage on a computer system than the traditional view of disks and
 partitions. This gives the system administrator much more flexibility
 in allocating storage to applications and users.

 Storage volumes created under the control of the logical volume manager
 can be resized and moved around almost at will, although this may need
 some upgrading of file system tools.

 The logical volume manager also allows management of storage volumes in
 user-defined groups, allowing the system administrator to deal with
 sensibly named volume groups such as "development" and "sales" rather
 than physical disk names such as "sda" and "sdb".

Sounds funky :)

John