[HLUG] (HLUG) unable to use CUPS

Graham Cole g at gcole.uklinux.net
Mon Jul 18 19:28:46 BST 2005

The user root/password combination fails to work. After searching on my
table I found a bit of paper with a username and password for logging in
at the CUPS website. That doesn't work with my localhost version of the
CUPS software.
Now the system has stopped cutting me out after one try and I can put in
as many wrong passwords as I like. I think I should abandon CUPS. This
all started because my new printer is not readily useable with my OS and
after searching for internet advice I thought it best to use CUPS
together with Gimp-print. I think I can remove CUPS and go back to
foomatic which is a normal part of Ubuntu printing. I see there is
apparently a way to get my particular printer to work with foomatic.
This has been extremely tedious for me.
Thanks for answering, John. Yes Glastonbury was more interesting than
necessary. I prefer the easy times myself but the rain exercised my
staying power in time for a back-packing holiday in the Pyrenees where
we were at various times too hot, too cold, too wet or nearly blown
away, tent and all. Sometimes it was just brilliant.
Thanks
Graham