[HLUG] (HLUG) unable to use CUPS

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Mon Jul 18 20:35:23 BST 2005

Graham Cole wrote:

> I think I should abandon CUPS. This
>all started because my new printer is not readily useable with my OS and
>after searching for internet advice I thought it best to use CUPS
>together with Gimp-print. I think I can remove CUPS and go back to
>foomatic which is a normal part of Ubuntu printing.

IMHO CUPS is a std part of Ubuntu. I can't say I am a printer expert,
but I think you would need foomatic and CUPS to do anything useful.
I've always found CUPS quite useful. You ought to have tried setting up
printers in 1999 in Linux with postscript 'magic filters'. That was
'easy' - NOT!!

Looking in Synaptic in Ubuntu, the Gnome-CUPS manager is part of the std
GUI tool to configure CUPS.

> Foomatic is a printing system designed to make it easier to set up
> common printers for use with Debian (and other operating systems).
> It provides the "glue" between a print spooler (like CUPS or lpr) and
> your actual printer, by telling your computer how to process files
> sent to the printer.

 I think you probably needed a newer version of foomatic. You may have
been able to get this from the hoary backports.

 http://ubuntu-backports.mirrormax.net/dists/hoary-backports/main/binary-i386/

To set up the backports have a look in
http://www.ubuntuguide.org/#extrarepositories

See you thursday at the meeting..