[HLUG] CUPS needs password

Graham Cole g at gcole.uklinux.net
Mon Jul 18 20:29:30 BST 2005

Hi everyone
I found a hint in the CUPS forum. Other people are being puzzled by
needing a password specifically for CUPS admin.
The hint was to execute the command lppasswd first. Give it the password
and user ID to run CUPS under.
OK, I am root and I give it a password but it does not work. There is a
man page but I don't understand it as usual. Maybe someone else does? I
cannot see how to change or set a password from this man page...........

lppasswd(1)                 Easy Software Products
lppasswd(1)

NAME
       lppasswd - add, change, or delete digest passwords.

SYNOPSIS
       lppasswd [ -a ] [ -g groupname ] [ -x ] [ username ]

DESCRIPTION
       lppasswd  adds,  changes, or deletes passwords in the CUPS digest
pass- word file, passwd.md5. When run by a normal user, lppasswd will
prompt for the old and new passwords. When run by the super-user,
lppasswd can add new accounts (-a username), change existing accounts
(username), or delete accounts (-x username) in the digest password
file. Digest user-names do not have to match local UNIX usernames, but
only  UNIX  user-names are supported by the CUPS client programs (lp(1),
lpr(1), etc.)

       The  -g  option  specifies a group other than the system group -
"sys", "system", or "root", depending on the operating system.

SECURITY ISSUES
       The lppasswd command is installed setuid to root. While  every
attempt has  been  made  to  make  it  secure against exploits that
could grant super-user priviledges to unpriviledged users, paranoid
system adminis-trators  may  wish to disable or change the ownership of
the program to an unpriviledged account.

SEE ALSO
       lp(1), lpr(1), CUPS Software Administrators Manual, CUPS Software
Users Manual, http://localhost:631/documentation.html

COPYRIGHT
       Copyright 1993-2005 by Easy Software Products, All Rights
Reserved.

7 June 2001               Common UNIX Printing System
lppasswd(1)
~
~
Thanks for any help.