[HLUG] CUPS needs password

John Hedges john at drystone.co.uk
Tue Jul 19 16:58:16 BST 2005

> > On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 08:08:10AM +0100, Graham Cole wrote:
> > >  I think I know how this password problem started. In my OS I have a
> > > six-letter password for root. This is not acceptable in CUPS: there must
> > > be at least one number. Hence if CUPS has craftily taken on my normal
> > > root password I am in an impossible position.
> > > This raises a question of inbuilt incompatibility for some Linux users
> > > of CUPS. If I'm right in my analysis I could go the long way round and
> > > reset my root password then re-install CUPS. But in theory I should be
> > > able to use the lppasswd command!
> >
> > To use lppasswd you need to edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf - at least on
> > debian which is ubuntu related. I wouldn't recommend this and if you
> > have I would suggest reinstalling cups making sure you purge the
> > configuration files (--purge option to dpkg but I don't know about
> > ubuntu)
> >
> > As far as I know, cups doesn't do password authentication itself, but
> > instead uses the pam libraries from a separate package to do it.
> >
> > Are you able to log in as root at a console?
> >
> > $su root
> > Password: *****
> >
> > If you cannot then you have a problem and, although you might get cups
> > working without, sooner or later you will need to be able to log in as
> > root. If you can log in but without a password, you should follow
> > Julian's advice and create one.
> >
> > Can you copy the section
> >
> > <Location /admin>
> > </Location>
> >
> > from /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and mail it to the list? And also let us know
> > how you are getting on with the root password thing :)
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > John
>
> Hi John, I have copied extracts from the file and the second bit looks
> very empty!
>
> root at localhost:/home/gc1 # cat /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
>  gives these extracts:
> <Location /admin>
> #
> # You definitely will want to limit access to the administration
> functions.
> # The default configuration requires a local connection from a user who
> # is a member of the system group to do any admin tasks.  You can change
> # the group name using the SystemGroup directive.
> #
>
> AuthType Basic
> AuthClass System
> </Location>
>
> #
> # End of "$Id: cupsd.conf.in,v 1.17 2005/01/03 19:29:45 mike Exp $".#
> I have not tried to re-install cups but I guess that can be done mainly
> with my Ubuntu disk and not much use of the internet. I did a quick
> upgrade of the CUPS server just now but still found I was getting no joy
> with my username and password. I suppose a full re-install of CUPS would
> be best now?
> Graham

Hi Graham

Your location section is the same as mine except for these linse after
'AuthClass' line

You might want to try adding them:

    ## Restrict access to local domain
    Order Deny,Allow
    Deny From All
    Allow From 127.0.0.1

If you can log on as root/passwd from a console then I don't know why
you cant with cups. Are there any interesting messages in
/var/log/auth.log /var/log/syslog /var/log/messages or /var/log/daemon

$ls -lrt /var/log

is a good way to see which logfiles have been appended to most recently
- try to log into cups and quickly do a ls to see if anything was
logged.

You might also consider increasing the log output in
/etc/cups/cupsd.conf to debug or debug2:

   LogLevel = debug

You will need to restart cups after making changes to the config with
either:

    $/etc/init.d/cupsys reload

or

    $/etc/init.d/cupsys restart