[HLUG] CUPS needs password

Graham Cole g at gcole.uklinux.net
Tue Jul 19 16:25:27 BST 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 11:34 +0100, John Hedges wrote:

> > > I think if I remember have you set up a root password in Hoary ? If not,
> > > CUPS has to use the root account and password to do its stuff. If you
> > > havnet got a root account defined, well it won't work.
> > >
> > > To create a root account in Ubuntu hoary try
> > >
> > > sudo passwd root
> > >
> > > Julian

> On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 08:08:10AM +0100, Graham Cole wrote:
> >  I think I know how this password problem started. In my OS I have a
> > six-letter password for root. This is not acceptable in CUPS: there must
> > be at least one number. Hence if CUPS has craftily taken on my normal
> > root password I am in an impossible position.
> > This raises a question of inbuilt incompatibility for some Linux users
> > of CUPS. If I'm right in my analysis I could go the long way round and
> > reset my root password then re-install CUPS. But in theory I should be
> > able to use the lppasswd command!
>
> To use lppasswd you need to edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf - at least on
> debian which is ubuntu related. I wouldn't recommend this and if you
> have I would suggest reinstalling cups making sure you purge the
> configuration files (--purge option to dpkg but I don't know about
> ubuntu)
>
> As far as I know, cups doesn't do password authentication itself, but
> instead uses the pam libraries from a separate package to do it.
>
> Are you able to log in as root at a console?
>
> $su root
> Password: *****
>
> If you cannot then you have a problem and, although you might get cups
> working without, sooner or later you will need to be able to log in as
> root. If you can log in but without a password, you should follow
> Julian's advice and create one.
>
> Can you copy the section
>
> <Location /admin>
> </Location>
>
> from /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and mail it to the list? And also let us know
> how you are getting on with the root password thing :)
>
> Cheers
>
> John

Hi John, I have copied extracts from the file and the second bit looks
very empty!

root at localhost:/home/gc1 # cat /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
 gives these extracts:
<Location /admin>
#
# You definitely will want to limit access to the administration
functions.
# The default configuration requires a local connection from a user who
# is a member of the system group to do any admin tasks.  You can change
# the group name using the SystemGroup directive.
#

AuthType Basic
AuthClass System
</Location>

#
# End of "$Id: cupsd.conf.in,v 1.17 2005/01/03 19:29:45 mike Exp $".#
I have not tried to re-install cups but I guess that can be done mainly
with my Ubuntu disk and not much use of the internet. I did a quick
upgrade of the CUPS server just now but still found I was getting no joy
with my username and password. I suppose a full re-install of CUPS would
be best now?
Graham