[HLUG] Videos - unable to view.

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Sun Jul 31 18:22:46 BST 2005

Noel McG wrote:

>Hello Dave,
>
>This is the first file,    go-open-episode-01.mp4

Firstly, mp4 is the successor to mp3 by the look of it.

MPEG-4 was defined by the Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG), the
working group within the International Organization for Standardization
(ISO) that specified the widely adopted, Emmy Award-winning standards
known as MPEG-1 and MPEG-2. Hundreds of researchers around the world
contributed to MPEG-4, which was finalized in 1998 and became an
international standard in 2000.

Mplayer is one of the best Linux video/audio players and does claim to
support .mp04 ie

>     Supported Video and Audio Codecs
>

>       most important video codecs:
>
>     * MPEG-1 (VCD) and MPEG-2 (SVCD/DVD/DVB) video
>     * MPEG-4 in all variants including DivX ;-), OpenDivX (DivX4),
>       DivX 5 (Pro), XviD

You can find out about Mplayer here .. http://www.mplayerhq.hu/

Julian