[Herefordshire] New to Linux .. Question ..

Matt Stone stone.matthew at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 20:33:46 BST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: ChrisColeman
To: herefordshire at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2005 5:56 PM
Subject: [Herefordshire] New to Linux .. Question ..

>Hi, I'm new to the list so forgive me if  do something wrong ..

Hiya, welcome to the list, the only thing i can see wrong is the use of
comic sans, comic sans is the work of the devil and you will grow horns and
a pointy tail if you continue using it ;)

>I am running an Apache server (windows version) , I want to move Apache to
a LAN attached PC running LINUX, which will become a server. Anyway my
>question is, which of the many free variants of Linux would be the one to
use ?

If you want something easy to set up and pretty user friendly i'd suggest
going for Mandrake or Fedora. Tell us a bit more about the hardware on the
machine you want to install and it may be easier to help you.

>I secondary requirement (if possible) is that I would like my Windows XP
system to be able to access files on the LINUX server, it must be able to
write and >create these files, therefore they should also appear to the
Windows system as NFTS ..

No problem, Samba will take care of that. It won't be an ntfs file system
but it's pretty straight forward to set up and works in the same way as
windows network share.

Cheers
Matt