[Herefordshire] New to Linux .. Question ..

Matt Stone stone.matthew at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 21:14:04 BST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "ChrisColeman" <Chris at herefordcomputers.com>
To: "Herefordshire Linux Users Group." <herefordshire at mailman.lug.org.uk>
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2005 8:53 PM
Subject: Re: [Herefordshire] New to Linux .. Question ..

> Matt,
>
>       thanks for that , apologies about the font and the ntfs ..

Haha, no problem, i was only joking anyway :)

>     Actually I need the file system so that I can use NTBACKUP from my XP
> back up my windows system, which contains work I would prefer not to
loose,
> which is why I quoted NFTS, but I guess any file system that XP can 'write
> on' would do the trick ..

Just had a look at ntbackup myself, and it will work fine with samba, just
make sure you have write access to the share and it will be ok.

>     Regarding the HW, well there's nothing unusual. Just a P3 processor a
> small amount of ram, a 10 gb HD, a terminal, keyboard, mouse and an
ethernet
> card .. If you need more specs. let me know and I'll get in there and have
> look ..
>     I really only need it to test PHP (re: Apache) scripts and to do the
> backups. I am considering running my own WWW server but that would
probably
> be next year ..

Nothing unusual? Superb, you shouldn't have any problem getting an out of
the box installation up and running. If you want it for testing apache and
php, i'd go for mandrake, mainly because they seem to have packages for
pretty much everything so adding extras onto apache on php should be a
breeze.

>     Anyway  I don't see any great advantage in running my own WWW server
> especially as the BB upload speeds are always quite lower than the
download
> speeds, in practice I don't know how restrictive that is , but then
perhaps
> that's a different subject ?

Depends on what kind of loads your expecting on the server. I set up a
debian box with a friend a couple of years back, ancient hardware (it was an
old sparc box with 128meg of ram) and we stuck it live with a bog standard
adsl line. We had no problems running a php/mysql based chatroom which
happily accomodated 50-80 users at a time.

Cheers
Matt