[Herefordshire] New to Linux .. Question ..

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Mon Jun 13 21:58:16 BST 2005

ChrisColeman wrote:

> Hi, I'm new to the list so forgive me if  do something wrong ..

Welcome to Linux ;-) Dive in and explore, you'll never want to go back ....

> Anyway I want some advice ..
>
> I am running an Apache server (windows version) , I want to
> move Apache to a LAN attached PC running LINUX, which will become a
> server.
>     Anyway my question is, which of the many free variants of Linux
> would be the one to use ?

I'd echo all of the previous comments re distro - but would also mention
Ubuntu. You have the great advantage of 'apt-get' (package mgmt tool)
which is admittedly better than all the others. Really is a breeze to
update/install software. Ubuntu makes quite a decent server platform,
although its not (yet) really seen as one. Only down side to Ubuntu is
that there are no wizards to set up samba etc.

> I secondary requirement (if possible) is that I would like my Windows
> XP system to be able to access files on the LINUX server, it must be
> able to write and create these files, therefore they should also
> appear to the Windows system as NFTS ..

Again, other comments are very useful - nothing I can add here.

Please come along to our mtg THIS THURSDAY. We're a helpful bunch and
are always happy to demo or help out where we can. Our group has a
mixture of abilities, but unlike some groups, we keep our feet on the
ground, and remember we were all linux newbies (newcomers) at one time
or another !

Cheers

Julian