[Herefordshire] Re: Thanks

EdwardFW at aol.com EdwardFW at aol.com
Mon Jun 13 21:44:11 BST 2005

Thanks for your kind offer Julian

It shouldn’t have been the PC I used because they are sold for use with SUSE

Both for SUSE and Kubuntu I did indeed find the installation process very
straightforward and well set out and (mostly) very well explained as one went
along. Though with SUSE frequent failure of the installation process was one of
the big areas of problems.

I also like the way Linux is accessible and logically laid out. The problem
is that there are a lot of areas and I now see that I would have to have
detailed knowledge and experience of most of them, and allow for a lot of time spent
on research and experimentation dealing with bugs and problems (even though
it might often not be needed) to be able to count on making a Linux
installation work and keep working.

Even if an installation should be easy and the software show every sign of
working and pass every test I could throw at it, the level of hassle I have had
means that, regrettably, I would always be worrying that it was just about to
fail in a way which was serious and hard to sort out.

Projecting forwards there is so much that I have not even tried or looked at
yet that the time and energy required to get into Linux, even if the rate of
problems I experienced should be reduced, means that it is just not viable.

But I will bear in mind the open source applications that are available for
use on Windows. And though I do not go about setting up projects, if I did I
would consider Linux - but not administered by me!

Regards, Edward