[Herefordshire] Re: Thanks

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Mon Jun 13 22:09:03 BST 2005

EdwardFW at aol.com wrote:

> I also like the way Linux is accessible and logically laid out. The
> problem is that there are a lot of areas and I now see that I would
> have to have detailed knowledge and experience of most of them, and
> allow for a lot of time spent on research and experimentation dealing
> with bugs and problems (even though it might often not be needed) to
> be able to count on making a Linux installation work and keep working.
>
> Even if an installation should be easy and the software show every
> sign of working and pass every test I could throw at it, the level of
> hassle I have had means that, regrettably, I would always be worrying
> that it was just about to fail in a way which was serious and hard to
> sort out.

Take your point. Linux is sometimes like an Alfa Romeo, really good
engines, but very occasionally a bit flakey!

But don't forget, its usually better to build a server for a particular
role, and nothing else. PC's are pretty cheap, and linux runs well on
cheap pc's, software is cheap or free, so generally nothing to lose but
everything to gain from setting up a 'server' for each particular
service. Thsi way there can be much more reliable than Winblows as your
not having to run all the junk you dont need, like X for example.

IE At work I have one pc which is our Backup server (using BackupPC). As
its quite simple, (no X), no sound reqd, etc, there is also little to go
wrong. I've had virtually nil problems with it since I set it up about a
year ago. Its only running Mandarek 9.2 too!

If you put everything onto a pc, more will break as one bit relies on
another etc.

> Projecting forwards there is so much that I have not even tried or
> looked at yet that the time and energy required to get into Linux,
> even if the rate of problems I experienced should be reduced, means
> that it is just not viable.

Overall, I do agree with you. There are some simpler ways into Linux
though, have you looked at 'e-smith' http://www.e-smith.com  or 'Clark
Connect' http://www.clarkconnect.com ?

These are nearly free GUI driven server platforms that can do all the
usual things but theres no cmd line fiddling at all. There really quite
good, but the only down side is that you lose a little bit of flexibility.

Just a couple of ideas anyway.

Julian