[Herefordshire] I am in a real bind!!!

Andrew Hodgson andrew.hodgson at allpay.net
Tue Jun 21 08:56:57 BST 2005

Hi,

I am wondering whether any of you on the list can help me with a bit of a
DNS quandary I am in.

I am going on broadband tomorrow and my ISP has given me an IP block
81.2.105.208/28.  I have to host PTR records on my DNS server using the
subnetted style 208-223.105.2.81.in-addr.arpa. - this is fine.  The ISP host
the zone 105.2.81.in-addr.arpa (or most of it), and have created CNAME
records pointing to the subnetted zone, listing my public nameserver as the
primary for the subnetted zone.

However, I run a split horizon DNS setup with the public information on one
server and LAN-specific information on the other.  This is mainly because
our lan uses the subdomain ad.hodgsonfamily.org.  I host the records on both
on two completely different instances.

The issue I have is I want to create the reverse zone for inside my LAN, but
here I have an issue, as if I created 105.2.81.in-addr.arpa, the rest of
that zone (i.e, for IP addresses I don't own) are not being resolved since
the DNS server can pick up the zone locally.  If I create the subnetted
zone, there would be no CNAME records in the parent to get resolution
working.

Has anyone been in this situation before?  I have two possible workarounds,
one is to create a complete zone file for each IP address, and the other
involves ensuring only the subnetted zone exists, and relying on resolution
to find the cname records from the root nameservers, thus when it gets to
the looking up from the subnetted zone it would know the information locally
thus pick up the records?

Alternatively does anyone know a trick in bind I can use to get this working
a different (and probably more appealing!) way?

Thanks.
Andrew.

the system manager.

allpay.net Limited, Fortis et Fides, Whitestone Business Park, Whitestone, Hereford, HR1 3SE. Telephone: 0870 243 3434, Fax: 0870 243 6041. Website: www.allpay.net Email: enquiries at allpay.net