[Herefordshire] I am in a real bind!!!

John Hedges john at drystone.co.uk
Tue Jun 21 13:30:17 BST 2005

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 11:00:59AM +0100, Andrew Hodgson wrote:
> [...]

This doesn't sound so bad :) All you lose is reverse DNS for around
200 ADSL connected hosts. You could put them in /etc/hosts - does that
get used for reverse lookups?

> , create a
> single zone for each IP in the subnet

How many files is it? 14? It doesn't sound too painful.

> or use the same zone as the public DNS
> server, populate it with different records and let the private server find
> it from the root records - when it comes to looking up the cname, the
> private server will already have the relevant zone, so _should_ use it as
> opposed to looking up the zone from the DNS referrer.  I am betting that the
> last version will work, unless I am proved wrong either by someone telling
> me or when it falls over tomorrow!

It's worth a try :) You could write a script to read the whole reverse
dns from your isp and build a local /24 zone file periodically by
merging in your own ips/hostnames.