[Herefordshire] I am in a real bind!!!

Andrew Hodgson andrew.hodgson at allpay.net
Tue Jun 21 13:44:22 BST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: herefordshire-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk
[mailto:herefordshire-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk] On Behalf Of John Hedges
Sent: 21 June 2005 13:28
a real bind!!!

>On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 11:00:59AM +0100, Andrew Hodgson wrote:

It isn't that bad, its just the principal and something I wanted avoiding if
possible.  /etc/hosts won't get used for clients doing the dNS lookups, I
think.  Another thing I could do is somehow populate the local copy of my
zone with ISP information, but it seems a bit poitless and petty to me, and
the script would have to work on getting the RDNS, especially if they are
delegated in similar ways to the way my blocks are allocated :(.

>> , create a
>> single zone for each IP in the subnet

>How many files is it? 14? It doesn't sound too painful.

No and is the way I will go if my last method doesn't work.  One other thing
I looked at over lunchtime is that using the method 3, if I am disconnected
from the net and the cache is blank, the RDNS wouldn't work because of not
being able to contact the root nameservers or the primary/secondary
nameservers at the ISP who hold the cname records.

>> or use the same zone as the public DNS
>> server, populate it with different records and let the private server
find
>> it from the root records - when it comes to looking up the cname, the
>> private server will already have the relevant zone, so _should_ use it as
>> opposed to looking up the zone from the DNS referrer.  I am betting that
the
>> last version will work, unless I am proved wrong either by someone
telling
>> me or when it falls over tomorrow!

>It's worth a try :) You could write a script to read the whole reverse
>dns from your isp and build a local /24 zone file periodically by
>merging in your own ips/hostnames.

See above - I hadn't actually read this far before replying.  Here is a
website with some more ideas, although this guy is very pro DJBDNS suite and
also is slightly hard to understand, but has some good ideas:

http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/avoid-rfc-2317-delegation.h
tml

The first example he gives is a bit beyond me, especially as it uses some of
the more complex Bind syntax, but the second one is what I am proposing in
option 2 (separate zone files), I think.

Thanks.
Andrew.

the system manager.

allpay.net Limited, Fortis et Fides, Whitestone Business Park, Whitestone, Hereford, HR1 3SE. Telephone: 0870 243 3434, Fax: 0870 243 6041. Website: www.allpay.net Email: enquiries at allpay.net