[Herefordshire] How I broke the binds!

Andrew Hodgson andrew.hodgson at allpay.net
Wed Jun 22 13:43:06 BST 2005

Hi,

This is some of the files I used - I hope it makes sense, and that I got it
right - I had to get this back from memory since I don't have remote to the
box.

$ORIGIN 105.2.81.in-addr.arpa.
@    1D  IN  SOA Elrond.ad.hodgsonfamily.org. hostmaster.hodgsonfamily.org.
(
0 3600 120 3600 3600
)
@    1D  IN  NS  Elrond.ad.hodgsonfamily.org.

108	1D	IN	PTR	network.ad.hodgsonfamily.org.
109	1D	IN	pippin.ad.hodgsonfamily.org
110	1D	IN	Gollum.ad.hodgsonfamily.org.
111	1D	IN	Frodo.ad.hodgsonfamily.org.
[...]
223	1D	IN	broadcast.ad.hodgsonfamily.org

$GENERATE 0-207 $ NS primary-dns.co.uk.$
$GENERATE 0-207 $ NS secondary-dns.co.uk.$
$GENERATE 224-255 $ NS primary-dns.co.uk.$
$GENERATE 224-255 $ NS secondary-dns.co.uk.$

The bit I read also suggested you put the NS records in for
primary-dns.co.uk and secondary-dns.co.uk, however, there didn't appear to
be a need to do this.  All the rest of that subnet is handled by those two
nameservers, which is why you can go to those nameservers for the rest of
that subnet.

I have probably missed something on this copy, Bind will complain probably
if I try to use this, but it is basically how I did it.

Thanks.
Andrew.

the system manager.

allpay.net Limited, Fortis et Fides, Whitestone Business Park, Whitestone, Hereford, HR1 3SE. Telephone: 0870 243 3434, Fax: 0870 243 6041. Website: www.allpay.net Email: enquiries at allpay.net