[Herefordshire] Linux on Laptops

Malcolm Herbert mherbert at redhat.com
Tue Jun 28 18:20:09 BST 2005

My work laptop is an IBM X31 (small laptop), currently running FC1 (well
its the way I want it), although my colleagues run everything from RHEL3
WS to FC4.

- power management is fine, sleep works ok
- no issues with graphics / sound etc
- has onboard Wireless (Atheros) which works really with the madwifi
drivers
- onboard Bluetooth, use the bluez stack in FC1, so using GPRS with the
mobile also works well whilst I'm on the move.
- firewire 1394 also works, although my Maxtor external drive stopped
working about 6 months ago (controller failure)
- USB2 is fine, my current external disk is a Lacie USB2, although that
had some problems this week. Recommend them though, 160GB drive for £64
quid on ebuyer.
- CD/DVD on a 'slice' which works really well.
- no problems with most cameras i've tried.
- can also recommend some JBL speakers I've also recently acquired.
sound quality excellent (currenly listening to the cricket online)
- USB keys, no problem, have a 1Gb Sancruzer
- onboard ethernet, serial and parallel ports
- PCMCIA is also fine (second network card in at the moment)
- have an extended battery usually attached, which will give 6 hours
battery life (Hereford->Paddington->Hereford on the train for example)

laptop in action picture....
http://people.redhat.com/mherbert/laptop.jpg

Malcolm

On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 13:23, Phil Taylor wrote:
> I thought a new thread would be nice :-)
>
> I have a Compaq N200 (mini laptop) and a Sony Viao (huge laptop with 16"
> TFT!)
> On my desktop I fun Fedora3 perfectly (Cant live without it! - no dual
> boot here!)
>
> I have never had success with them and linux.  my main issues are
> PCMCIA (generally)
> PCMCIA Wireless (Specifically)
> Power options (Sony Viao fan runs at full speed even when laptop cool -
> this is handled by software on win)
>
> I travel a lot and need a laptop that I can connect to different
> networks as needed (both cabled and wireless) so these things are really
> the areas I need to get right,
>
> What has been the experience of others on the list with Linux on Laptops??
>
> Phil.

Dr Malcolm Herbert
Manager, Client Development             GPS, Red Hat Europe
m: +44 7720 079845   w: people.redhat.com/mherbert
GPG ID:  C051F446
GPG FPR: 68AD CBDD 8EEB 63ED 0802  4B8E A5B3 EB72 C051 F446