[Herefordshire] Linux on Laptops

Mark Broadbent markb at wetlettuce.com
Tue Jun 28 20:40:25 BST 2005

Phil Taylor wrote:
> I have a Compaq N200 (mini laptop) and a Sony Viao (huge laptop with 16"
> TFT!)
> On my desktop I fun Fedora3 perfectly (Cant live without it! - no dual
> boot here!)

Nice to hear. :-)

> I have never had success with them and linux.  my main issues are
> PCMCIA (generally)
> PCMCIA Wireless (Specifically)

Wireless in Linux can be hit and miss.  If you know what type of
wireless chipset it uses or just the make and model of the card then you
should be able to search on google for it.

My Dell Inspiron 500M has an unsupported wireless chipset (Broadcom
in-fact), but using ndiswrapper (see http://ndiswrapper.sf.net/) you can
use existing Windows drivers to make it work in Linux (not ideal, but if
it works...).

> Power options (Sony Viao fan runs at full speed even when laptop cool -
> this is handled by software on win)

I had a look on google and it seems to be a problem, you may want to
search the Redhat bugzilla database (https://buzgilla.redhat.com/) for
similar problems.  If you can't find anything relevant then file a bug.

> What has been the experience of others on the list with Linux on Laptops??

I'm very impressed with on my laptop, I've just upgraded my laptop to RH
Fedora Core 4 so it comes with my badge of approval. :-)

Thanks
Mark

--
Mark Broadbent <markb at wetlettuce.com>