[Herefordshire] Linux on Laptops

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Tue Jun 28 21:00:36 BST 2005

Phil Taylor wrote:

> I thought a new thread would be nice :-)
>
> I have a Compaq N200 (mini laptop) and a Sony Viao (huge laptop with
> 16" TFT!)
> On my desktop I fun Fedora3 perfectly (Cant live without it! - no dual
> boot here!)
>
> I have never had success with them and linux.  my main issues are
> PCMCIA (generally)
> PCMCIA Wireless (Specifically)
> Power options (Sony Viao fan runs at full speed even when laptop cool
> - this is handled by software on win)
>
> I travel a lot and need a laptop that I can connect to different
> networks as needed (both cabled and wireless) so these things are
> really the areas I need to get right,

I read today of a far better wireless utility app for Gnome than the bog
std one. It also shows signal strength, and allows wireless scanning too.
It's called gtkwifi and is at http://gtkwifi.sourceforge.net/

One thing to qualify what is said about wifi and linux is that sadly the
mfrs change the chipset without changing the model number at all. So it
can be tricky to work out exactly what part you have without actually
looking at the chip - not really desirable.

Even the USB wireless page was quite out of date.

If you stick to the older pcmcia prism2/2.5 or 3 cards they work very,
very well. My card works absolutely fine with WEP too.