[Herefordshire] ubuntu stuff

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Fri Mar 4 08:35:56 GMT 2005

Hi John

John Michaelson wrote:
> if you're interested in ubuntu, here are a couple of pages from their
> wiki that i found interesting.
>
> https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/RootSudo/view?searchterm=root%20account%20enable
>
> this shows how to enable the root account. i might reinstall ubuntu and
> try this, the lack of root account was one of my major grudges.

Yepp, I succumbed and added my root account a while back. If you're a
bit experienced with linux, its perhaps better to add root back in,
otherwise I think Ubuntu are right in leaving it out. You can very
easily do a lot of damage with root !!

> https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/Kubuntu
> this is about an project to make a kde version of ubuntu. i'm more
> familiar with kde than gnome, so this sounds interesting.

I had a look at this the other day. Its still got quite a way to go
though. I was always a KDE man, but I do prefer Ubuntu and Gnome
together, as its so well presented and clean looking.

Julian