[Herefordshire] How do I specify a auto - timeout for amodemconnection?

Ben Stephens foolfodder at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 08:53:02 GMT 2005

>>>I know it happens with the exchange servers at work so suspect it's
just a general quirk.  I just find it a little irritating as it messes
up the subject line (as it's doing with this email!), seems to be
removing spaces as well :-/ Odd!<<<

I think that this is something to do with RFC 2045, which specifies
how to encode e-mails or possibly MIME e-mails. An except from
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2045.html says

(5)   (Soft Line Breaks) The Quoted-Printable encoding
          REQUIRES that encoded lines be no more than 76
          characters long.  If longer lines are to be encoded
          with the Quoted-Printable encoding, "soft" line breaks

          must be used.  An equal sign as the last character on a
          encoded line indicates such a non-significant ("soft")
          line break in the encoded text.

so maybe it has something to do with that,
although, str_len('subject: ') + 60 + str_len('=\r\n') only equals 73,
where's those other characters gone? And maybe you don't count the
=\r\n any way. Hmmm, I wonder whether me typing in =\r\n will mess up
this email at all.

Ben