[Herefordshire] How do I specify a auto - timeout for amodemconnection?

Mark Broadbent markb at wetlettuce.com
Thu Mar 3 21:33:49 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 20:55 +0000, Andrew Hodgson wrote:
> From: herefordshire-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk
> [mailto:herefordshire-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk] On Behalf Of Mark
> Broadbent

> talking about web browser sessions >tc, although these count of course.
> What I am talking about are all the broadcasts, connection attempts and
> pings etc that go on whilst connected which of course resets the timer.
>
> >What you basically need is to use the active-filter configuration
> directive in pppd.  This allows >you to specify what pppd will consider
> as active traffic and should solve the idle timeout problem.
>
> >I found this http://www.faqs.org/docs/linux_network/x7297.html that
> lists the active-filter >directive and this
> http://users3.ev1.net/~ckite/public_html/enhanced-idle.html actually
> gives a >couple of example filter expressions (the expression are
> libpcap expressions I believe).
>
> Thanks - I wish I had seen this a couple of years ago!
>
> >BTW, Why does Microsoft Exchange insist on putting a tab character at
> the 60 character in the >subject line?
>
> Interesting that - it does some other weird stuff, but not noticed that.
> Is this on all my messages to this list, or have you noticed it
> elsewhere?

I know it happens with the exchange servers at work so suspect it's just
a general quirk.  I just find it a little irritating as it messes up the
subject line (as it's doing with this email!), seems to be removing
spaces as well :-/ Odd!

--
Mark Broadbent <markb at wetlettuce.com>
Web: http://www.wetlettuce.com/