[Herefordshire] gimp talk

EdwardFW at aol.com EdwardFW at aol.com
Thu Mar 10 15:56:35 GMT 2005

John
I wouldn't worry too much.

There are probably several others like myself who have used other graphics
apps in a very limited way and now we are starting with Linux are only bothered
about getting the basics out of the gimp. E.g. crop images, change their size
and or resolution, sharpen up something, stick some text on a picture. Make
sure we can save it. I had a very quick look at it and for most of what I want
the problem of the gimp will be picking out the basics from the wealth of
features. If I ever want some amazing editing done and am desperate I can always
pay someone.

We can presumably have a few boxes running and follow what is being discussed
on them.

After basic and / or easy stuff suggestions could be made regarding greater
challenges.
(Tell you what, I do get fed up with people who send me huge images taken by
their cameras which even I could have easily - with a simple graphics app -
cropped and shrunk to a much smaller file that did the job well) so it's on the
edge of the subject but anyone who is into batch processing might dust off
their knowledge I probably won't be able to benefit from what they are on about
but someone else might and anyway I am a victim not a perpetrator)

If something is particularly desired but not achieved on the night it can be
pursued on this list.

It has been claimed that a group of monkeys pecking randomly at keyboards
would, given sufficient time, eventually produce by chance the Bible and all of
Shakespeare (frustrating to miss that last full stop before slipping back into
gibberish!). The gimp's menus and the successful completion of a task present
a smaller range of possible inputs and a smaller required output so as a group
let's not be intimidated by it!

Edward FW