[Herefordshire] Connecting to broadband without a firewall? ... plus IPcop network card scrounge

Malcolm Herbert mherbert at redhat.com
Tue Mar 29 22:11:24 BST 2005

many of our well known Govt institutions use the following benchmark as
a template to lock down their Unix / Linux systems

http://www.cisecurity.org/bench_linux.html

the step-by-step lockdown guide is good, despite being a little obvious
in places, which is useful for any box on broadband or on a corporate
network.

Malcolm

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 14:30, Matt Rhys-Roberts wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Have now got broadband from Demon, a suitable USB modem, and a couple of
> filters. Great, but...
>
> Question: is it wise to try a quick test connection to the internet,
> without a separate firewall betweeen my Mandrake box and the modem? Or
> will I instantly become a hacking target and infected with horrible
> diseases??
>
> Finally, does anyone have any spare PCI network cards (3Com, Davicom
> etc.) that will definitely work well in an IPcop box? I may have to
> sacrifice my old 233 to become this. Cash waiting for working goods.
Dr Malcolm Herbert
Manager, Client Development             GPS, Red Hat Europe
m: +44 7720 079845   w: people.redhat.com/mherbert
GPG ID:  C051F446
GPG FPR: 68AD CBDD 8EEB 63ED 0802  4B8E A5B3 EB72 C051 F446