[HLUG] laptop advice needed

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Wed Nov 30 22:49:19 GMT 2005

Hi John

Generally  you can get most things working on a laptop, it just depends
how many work 'out of the box'. IBM are good, you won't go far wrong there.

Ubuntu actually have a team looking at making certain makes and models
completely compatible with Ubuntu. see
 http://www.ubuntulinux.org/community/teams/laptop

even better is this as an example
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/ThinkpadT40?highlight=%28laptop%29

I believe its their aim to be able to soon be able to sell fully working
laptops with Ubuntu on them pre-installed.

Also have a look at
http://tuxmobil.org/distribution_linux_laptop_ubuntu.html

Theres a lot of useful info on the main Ubuntu wiki so have a dig around
on there.
Just be a bit careful with your WLAN card. You could just go for a
separate card which you can be more certain to get to work, as you can
buy what works then ! The problem is that many mfrs are changing their
chips without changing the model numbers so its quite difficult to know
_exactly_ what version of card you have. You can usually get it to work
with ndiwrapper, but its far better to have good out of the box support.

Good luck

Julian