[HLUG] Lost GIMP output to printer. (Ubuntu 504, Epson sty.col.400)

Mark Broadbent markb at wetlettuce.com
Fri Oct 7 21:38:53 BST 2005

Hi Matt,

matt at spherica.demon.co.uk wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> GIMP used to be able to print before, I'm sure... Can print a good test page
> from the driver menu, but the print job that leaves GIMP does not reach the
> printer driver/spooler.
>
> I then discover that the printer set in GIMP does not quite match the
> installed printer, so in the GIMP printer dialog I choose the other slightly
> different epson 400 listed, hooray - the job reaches the queue and the
> printer starts, but i get a page of unstoppable plaintext, heading includes:
>
> Adobe-3.0 1C4A
> ?Creator: Print plug-in v4.2 for GIMP/GimpPrint 4.2.7 (date)
> DocumentData: clean7bit
> LanguageLevel: 2
> Pages: 1
>

> I can only assume that GIMP is speaking the wrong language to the printer
> driver. If anyone feels boringly well skilled in solving these matters, feel
> free to let me know!!

It looks like GIMP is speaking Postscript and your printer is literally
printing it out rather that interpreting it.  I'm sure CUPS should be
performing the conversion from PS->Epson binary printer language but it
looks like it isn't?

Although my set-up isn't identical, I have a printer set-up in CUPS and
I can print to it by using the default settings (in GIMP) of:

Printer name:  Printer
Printer model: Postscript Level 2

I have this working with both a HP Deskjet and Epson Stylus Colour 460.
 Have you tried with the default settings?

You might want to also check that the queue it clear and the printer
power cycled before trying, as if some printers are really picky about
receiving duff command sequences.  Might explain why you ended up with a
load of scrap! :-)

Thanks
Mark

--