[HLUG] Trouble with a capital M ??

Noel McG etwell at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 12 09:00:31 BST 2005

> >Hello,
> >
> >My CD drive has suddenly decided to stop reading, needless to say at a
fairly crucial moment for me.

> >So I need to replace with a DVD/CD R/RW.  I am not up to date with what
is available though I suspect that I need some sort of multi region/format
and double layer capable?

> >Suggestions please as to make type etc. and anything to avoid as well.

Hello,

Well now, things have moved on a bit.

I took the DVD drive from my Linux box and tried it in the MS box.   It
worked twice and then stopped dead.
This was master on IDE 2.   I then tried both CD and DVD as slaves on IDE 1,
nothing, though the HDD is working OK.

I changed cables, re-installed drivers and generally blew and tapped
everything.   Still nothing.
I have not changed any BIOS settings. I did get one warning as I rebooted on
one occasion 'no ASPI layer installed'.
This was from Plextor which is the CD drive and means nothing to me.

I then tried both drives on the Linux box and they both respond and work
properly.

So I am now coming round to the thought that there is something wrong on
the motherboard on the MS box.

Any thoughts anyone, before I start littering the floor with bits and
pieces?

Regards,

Noel.