[HLUG] Ello all I should be able to make this meeting I have 3 weeks of bliss doing nothing.... :)

David Shorthouse kungfu at globalnet.co.uk
Thu Sep 1 19:04:34 BST 2005

First congrats to Julian sorry I haven't been keeping up with the emails.

I still haven't managed to get the midi files working which is a bit of a
pain I have given up on this task for a bit I am moving into getting my
Gateway machine to be my webserver/gateway/firewall/ftpserver.

I have installed Suse9.3 seems to run ok. I have a question regarding
security of files on a none Linux based format NTFS.

My little brother who is mentally handicapped deleted 40gig of data from my
server machine. Which was running windows 2000 but is always logged in as
Administrator. Now the data has gone I've decided I will just stick Linux on
there & give everyone rights to do what they need.

Problem.

On my other machine I give to my brother to use while I setup Suse on my
gateway it has 3 drives
1 6gig(windows boot Drive)Fat32
2 20gig(linux Suse9.3(linux whatever format)
3 80gig(data Drive) Fat32

Now after creating a user for him I checked to see if I can delete files
from the user Chris. & was horrified to find I could. I then tried to set
the permissions on the Fat32 drives to only root can delete but it says I
don't have permissions to do this even though I relogged in as root..

As you can imagine I am now a little worried that he might delete data from
my other computer now..... Any help Please!!!!

Dave the Raver
David Shorthouse
Email mailto:linux at kungfu.globalnet.co.uk
Web  http://www.kungfu.dyndns.org/Linux/linux.html