[HLUG] Anyone used SUSE disks that were given out at some meeting?

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Fri Sep 2 20:05:25 BST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From:  Benjamin Weber
Date:  2/9/05 14:58
To:  Herefordshire Linux Users Group.
Subj:  Re: [HLUG] Anyone used SUSE disks that were given out at some meeting?

> Or you could go for Ubuntu, That way you get at least two years worth of
> free updates (or 5 years if you pay), and you get really excellent
> hardware detection and network config tools too.

agreed that suse  is a good choice. But Ubuntu & Debian have apt which is surely the best packagae mgt tool around. I spent hours getting a particular perl script working on mandrake a while back. On ubuntu everything is installed and configured even apache in one single command.
You also have Webmin still which works well and can be used on any linux platform. If you use Webmin and need to change distro, you don't need to learn new config tools again.

SUSE linux has 2 years of free updates too, and is free to download. just the
enterprise version is subscription based, the standard version is still a lot
more suited to server use than ubuntu, ubuntu's config tools are very limited
compared to yast particularly for configuring network  and servers. What
tools does ubuntu have for command line configuration? you might not want to
run X on the server and with suse yast offers the same functionality in
ncurses mode as the Qt frontend.

Benji